Tribunnews Reporter, Fitri Wulandari
TRIBUNNEWS.COM, KIEV – Ukraine’s Ministry of Defense confirmed that 7 women and children were killed when Russian troops attacked a convoy of residents fleeing a village in the Kiev region on Saturday.
This also refutes the statement previously made that they were attacked in the agreed evacuation corridor.
Quoted from Al Jazeera’s page, Sunday (13/3/2022), the Ukrainian Intelligence Service initially said those killed outside Peremoha were in the green corridor agreed with Russia.
However, a later Ukrainian Ministry of Defense statement said the men were actually trying to escape on their own.
Read also: Conquering Territory and Kidnapping Leaders, Russian Military Appoints New Mayor of Melitopol in Southeastern Ukraine
“So they started evacuating without a green corridor that was agreed upon by both sides,” the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense explained.
Earlier on February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin announced the start of special military operations in Ukraine in response to a request for assistance submitted by the head of the Donbass Republic.
Read also: 12,729 Ukrainians Evacuated Successfully, Zelensky Asks For More Help from Allies
However, he stressed that his country has no plans to occupy Ukrainian territory.
He claimed this operation was carried out only for the demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine.
The Russian Ministry of Defense also conveyed the same thing that Russian troops did not target cities in Ukraine, but only paralyzed the Ukrainian military infrastructure.
Therefore, Russia insists there is no targeted threat to the civilian population.