Tuesday, February 8, 2022 – 00:02 WIB
VIVA – Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has again denied allegations of sexual assault in his first interview with Western media since he accused a Chinese party leader of forcing him to have sex.
Peng Shuai spoke to last Sunday’s French newspaper L’Equipe at the Winter Olympics in Beijing on Sunday, February 6, 2022.
Reporting on the BBC, February 7, 2022, Peng Shuai sparked global concern last year because of his post alleging that a party leader forced him to have sexual relations. But when he returned to the public eye, he brushed off public concerns by saying he was living a normal life.
The Women’s Tennis Association eventually canceled her match in China at the time after the concern was raised, and led the call for Peng Shuai’s claims in her post.
The interview he conducted on Sunday with Western media Peng Shuai said he was grateful for the attention of his fans and other tennis players, who posted a campaign on social media that read #WhereIsPengShuai.
“I didn’t think there would be such concern and I wonder why there is such concern?” Peng Shuai said.