TRIBUNNEWS.COM – Iran’s Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) claimed responsibility for a ballistic missile attack in Iraq’s northern Kurdish capital Erbil, according to Iranian state media.
In a statement released Sunday, the elite force said it was targeting Israel’s “strategic center” in the country.
“Any repetition of Israeli attacks will be met with a strong, decisive and destructive response,” the statement said.
Previously, Israel killed two members of the IRGC earlier this week in Syria, a close ally of Tehran.
Read also: US Navy Fires Warning Shots At IRGC’s Iranian Ships
Read also: IRGC: Iranian Nuclear Scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh Killed with Satellite-Controlled Advanced Weapon
Kurdish officials said a dozen ballistic missiles launched from outside Iraq overran the region.
Erbil Governor Omed Khoshnaw told local broadcaster Rudaw there was a terror attack on the US Consulate.
According to the Kurdish Interior Ministry, the missile only caused material damage to the new consulate building and injured one civilian.
A US State Department spokesman said no Americans were injured and there was no damage to US government facilities in Erbil.
Iraqi state TV quoted the Kurdish semi-autonomous region’s counterterrorism forces as saying 12 missiles launched from outside Iraq hit Erbil.
Read also: Iran denies IRGC officer killed in Iraq, calls news fake news
Read also: Iranian IRGC Commander Killed in Air Strike on Iraq-Syria Border