Simply put, advertising can be a way of getting the public interested in using a product. However, some advertisements were even attacked by negative comments until there were rejection petitions. This is experienced by the row of underwear ads below. The pose is too sexy to the point that an ad that is considered to promote the stereotype of women as sexual objects has drawn controversy.
1. Jours Apres Lunes once recruited a 10-year-old child model to advertise while wearing underwear heavy makeup, piercings until stilettos.
2. The Victoria’s Secret advertisement was flooded with negative comments because of the slogan ‘Perfect Body’ with VS Angels as models. The slogan seems to signal that body goals is a thin and slender woman, until finally the slogan was changed to “A Body for Every Body” after a petition signed by nearly 30,000 people.
3. David and Victoria Beckham’s intimate style for the 2009 Emporio Armani advert drew controversy thanks to their poses that were too vulgar in half-naked clothes.
4. Hope once made an ad showing Gisele Bündchen wearing underwear to try to seduce her husband so that he is no longer angry because of the mistakes he has made. The Brazilian Ministry of Women did not see the funny side and saw brand it promotes the stereotype of women as sexual objects of husbands.
5. In 2016, Calvin Klein caused a stir thanks to an advertisement for underwear that was considered sexist, degrading women to approach pornography.
6. Previously, Calvin Klein also had a controversial ad. In this 1993 ad, Kate Moss is seen hugging Mark Wahlberg while bare-chested.